Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bullets Secure Westvale Field for 2010 Home Games

After spending months hunting for a home field, the South Bergen Bullets will spend 2010 at Westvale Field in Westwood.

The facility is located in Westvale Park on Harrington Avenue and Sand Road in Westwood.

Honestly, after talking to every recreation director in Bergen and Hudson counties over the past three months, I am ecstatic about this facility.

To take you inside the process for a moment, we had set up to play at Breslin Stadium in Lyndhurst this summer, but that field is being turfed this summer and we were left to find a new home.

I assumed after volunteering in Rutherford for 15 years that a few well-placed phone calls would be enough to secure a facility.

I was very wrong.

I also assumed that I would have my pick of facilities, complete with lights and a fence.

I was very wrong.

With more teams popping up annually, fields are at a premium and towns are interested in profiting from their facilities. I was amazed at some of the prices that I was quoted.

I was even more surprised at the hoops that we were asked to jump through. Tom Byrne, who has tirelessly worked on this initiative for months, spent many hours going from rec department to rec department trying to negotiate.

Most directors didn't care or (worse) tried to profit from our conundrum.

Westwood's director worked with us and never tried to profit from our unfortunate circumstances. (Though, I probably would've offered my first born to get this field if necessary.)

Now, I am beginning the process of scheduling our home games.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment